Sunday, October 15, 2017

A Stick in the Forest of Life

Today I heard a sermon that really spoke to my heart about my life. Be a stick. Don't forget to be a stick. While somewhat unusual a topic, I identified with it right away, because of it being about God calling us all sticks so that we do something amazing, but then we go back to being just a stick.

When I think about my life, how much of it did I spend wanting to be more than a stick? Tons. I wasted so much time not wanting to look back, but still found myself doing just that anyway. What if that very action of looking back was what was supposed to happen? Instead of seeing it as the curse of rumination, it's a call to not get full of myself and to live in between the "great" moments of my life, because those are the majority of my days.

There's also the connotation that a stick is dead. Truly, without Christ, that is what we all are. Thankfully, Jesus says we are branches, not sticks - while He is the vine. Only those who don't live and do in Christ are cursed to be sticks, which are fit only for the fire. It's a powerful visual that drives an even bigger point home: we can't let ourselves ever grow tired of whatever God has called us to do with our lives, as branches, but at the same time, we must die to self (embracing the stick within us) to put on Christ and have His power of restoration flowing through us. He is the Healer and Giver of Life; all we can ever do is plant seeds. Jesus is the gardener who waters, prunes, and protects.

In essence, we are all just sticks at heart. At least some days, right? We feel isolated, depressed, afraid - all human emotions, which lead to acting out. I know I do my fair share of this on a regular basis, which is why feeding my mind with the Word and spending time with other believers in Christ is vital to my regrowth, so that I can go back to being a branch.

I say all this to link my calling with my Savior. Do you know Him? Do you see Him in the pages I write? I hope so. I truly do! He is why I can write and share my thoughts with you. I write so that you can have hope, see that your experiences mirror that of others, and recognize the path you can take that leads to putting your best foot forward.

As you consider all of what I'm saying, please know that I am just me - a mere mortal with limitations I don't always want to admit. You may like what I have to share, or you may not - but at the end of the day, I'm an average person, just like YOU. I'm not above any hardship, difficulty, or loss. Today, I am who I am because of how I got through some tough times and kept going. It's why I have hope, and why I put that hope in Jesus!

Let's Meet in Person!
If you're lucky enough to live in the Indianapolis, IN area, and have read The Ellises Book 1: A Place to Call Home, and want to have your copy autographed, or if you'd like to buy a signed copy, then I have good news for you! I'll be participating in a Vendors Sunday for Local Authors event at the Quirky Feather Confectionery in Carmel, IN on Sunday, October 29th from 2-5 p.m. I'd love to meet you and hear what's on your heart - including any questions you may have about faith, the book, or even writing in general!

The Quirky Feather Confectionery is located at 890 E. 116th Street, Suite 125, Carmel, IN 46032. See you there!