Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Tackling a Controversial Topic in the Church: A.D. Britten’s A Soul Unbroken, the Interview


A.D. Britten is a gay Christian author whose writings are aimed at establishing awareness of the LGBT+ community for acceptance among the church. For many who are raised with traditional views, homosexuality is taboo to discuss and considered inherently bad. What’s worse is that countless people of the church who come out to their loved ones as gay in hopes of finding unconditional love, often are ostracized by them and as well as within their place of worship, so they have no choice but to leave the church entirely.


N: What was the inspiration behind your book (A Soul Unbroken)?

AB: This story had an unusual beginning. The story takes place in central Indiana which is where I am from.  Awhile back, there were some demographic changes going on at the time and some people voiced concerns that some things that were outside of local culture were going on such as male prostitution.  Around this same time, there was a news story about a local guy who did engage in that profession.  I just thought it was ironic that some people were saying that new was coming into the community, when that thing was actually already there.  Besides, that the book was also a way to deal with issues. 

N: Which character do you identify with personally? If not, have you ever known someone like any of the characters you portrayed?

AB: I identify with the main character mostly, although I have not been in the profession that he spends a good deal of this young adult life in, but certain aspects of his life I can identify with in certain ways. 

N: When did you first become a Christian?

AB: I became a Christian in two stages. The first was when I attending a small Christian school when I was a kid. I initially accepted Christ then when I was 7. But I did not have a strong concept of what it meant to be a Christian. So when we eventually stopped going to that school and started going to public school I stopped praying, because I thought prayer was like homework and only mattered when going to a religious school.  I know that sounds silly, but there it is.

The second time was when I was in college, and I went to a church and accepted Christ and really had a better understanding of what it meant to be a Christian.

N: Do you consider yourself more of an optimist or pessimist?

AB: I am an optimist.  I think I’d have to be to write what I do.

N: When do you find the time to write?

AB: That can be difficult, but I tend to find time usually on the weekend.

N: What’s something you like about going to church?

AB: I enjoy the sermons, the music, and meeting with friends. I'm not really an extroverted person. So church has been a place to easily make friends and find activities to get involved in.

N: Favorite city?

AB: London

N: If you had three wishes, what would they be?

AB: The same old wish for world peace, but also, a life partner and inner peace.

N: Who inspires you the most (in real-life or a fictional character)?

AB: That’s a tough question; I’d have to get back with you on that one.

N: Where do you see yourself in the next ten years?

AB: Living abroad, married, writing a lot more, and fulfilling my life goals.

N: What was your favorite book as a kid?

AB: I really don’t remember.

N: Name some hobbies you enjoy.

AB: Music, reading, watching movies.

N: What are you working on next?

AB: I recently completed a short story and posted it online on Booksie. The next writing project would be probably be another short story, but I’m not certain which idea to work on first.

N: Do you have a favorite quote or saying?

AB: Take care of yourself.

A.D. Britten is an author of various short stories, poems, and articles, among other writings.  A Soul Unbroken: A Journey the author's second book. 
Find more about A.D. Britten at: